Tuesday 10 August 2010

Why Criticise Religion? (Part 2)

I was never convinced by any of it. I reached the age of reason at about 8, and was never brought up religiously. But I had a brief month of believing when my grandmother died, who had been a rock in my life. That's not to say that I'm 'angry at God' or what have you. Its just that I really don't think a god exists. I have tried believing and given the state of the world, it cannot be the work of a supreme being who is both all-powerful (not restrained by anything) and all-loving (takes a keen interest in human affairs). The concept is self-refuting.

But more specifically I op
pose religion because I accept science. I see religious claims contradictory to science, and anyone who doesn't agree is a fool or a liar. Quite often both.

'The Wise Man knows what he doesn't know.' and this is a principle that science works with. Scientists KNOW they don't know everything, and they admit that. It's a good way to look at the world, being humble and a continuing search for exploration and truth. There is a reason why science hasn't answered a lot of big questions. You want to know why?


Because those questions are bigger questions than religion can ever imagine or could imagine. There are scientists (probably as you are reading this) who have been up all night and fell asleep on their desks or in their labs trying to work out a particular equation or problem. If they took a religious approach, then why bother?

Religion does the exact opposite. It asserts things for which there is no evidence whatsoever and furthermore, red-stamps them as 'sacred truths'. I see this as the highest form of ignorance. Anyone with the smallest sense of reason and logic, will agree with me.

Also, given that the only reason I was taught about Christianity in school was because I was born in a predominantly Christian country. If was born in Afghanistan I'd be taught about Islam. If was born in India, I'd be taught about Hinduism, etc. There is absolutely no reason to accept the religion you were brought up in, which is by the sheerest accident, and then call it 'True'.

From an early age, even children can see through the bullshit, unless they are brainwashed by it early on, which is another reason to loathe religion.

"The only true thing about religion is that it is false." - Pat Condell.

No comments:

Post a Comment